From: Rich Taborek [mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 1999 5:15 PM
To: BRIAN_LEMOFF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; HSSG
Subject: Re: Going the distance

Brian,

Please keep in mind that my proposed motion to use ISO/IEC premises cabling
standards is based on our inability to overwhelmingly agree (75%) to
distance
objectives. Our best attempts at a motion failed in Coeur d'Alene. The
distance ad
hoc has reached no better consensus, and I'm afraid that Jonathan Thatcher's
proposed process is too convoluted to set clear objectives. I'm araid that
blending
in the myriad market requirements for 10 GbE, 1 GbE specifications for a
specific
fiber type, requirements from 1 GbE links which greatly exceed the standard
and use
non standard (enhanced) cable and/or components, and the capabilities of any
proposed 10 GbE schemes serve only to make any specific distance decisions
harder to
make and attain the concensus of 75% of the group. Remember also that we're
a study
group, and that you'll get your change to get your specific 'better'
distance into
the standard when we actually have a standards project to get it into.

As an individual straw poll, would you as an individual IEEE voter, vote
against the
following motion, if made?

   That the distance objective support the premises cabling plant distances
as
specified in ISO/IEC 11801

      The distances supported in ISO/IEC 11801 are:

      100 m for horizontal cabling
      550 m for vertical cabling
      2-3 km for campus cabling

It is assumed that the 10 GbE standard will exceed these objectives quite
handily as
was the case for GbE.

--

BRIAN_LEMOFF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>      Paul:
>
>      I believe that the WWDM approach that we have presented, when used
>      with uncooled, unisolated, reduced spec (on SMSR, linearity, RIN)
DFBs

_________________________________
> Subject: Re: Going the distance
> Author:  Non-HP-pbottorf (pbottorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) at
HP-PaloAlto,mimegw2
> Date:    6/30/99 3:24 PM
>
> Bruce:
>
> I support your outlook. We already have 5-10 km with gigabit. Supporting
> these distances is necessary to support the installed base. Since the
> technology cut-off point is around 20 km and since a standard MAN distance
> is 15 km I'd prefer a slightly more aggressive objective of 15 km. This
> would still give reasonable design margin. I also believe lower cost
> technology exits below 2.5 km motivating a 2 km specification. We could
> either specify a single 15 km objective which covers all the applications
> with a higher component cost or 2 km and 15 km each with a different price
> point.
>
> I would like to see further extension into the MAN. GigE is selling day
> with reaches over 50 km. The next standard distance is 40 km. I've heard
> this distance was chosen to match the spacing of microwave towers. With
the
> 40 km distance I believe we would have all that is necessary to build
Metro

<stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx>

--

Best Regards,