Why 10 km RE: Going the distance

Drew:

10 km is what we Ethernet vendors are doing today with 1000BASE-LX interfaces.
Some of these applications are very large campuses, others are the equivalent to
private "MANs", others are GbE access to some facility that is not owned by the
customers (a MAN).  I have proposed 10 km as a goal for the HSSG because GbE
customers will want to run 10 GbE over the same links also some PHY vendors seem
to think the goal is feasible at reasonable cost.

Perhaps 15 km would be a better number since it is based on established MAN
topologies.

Bruce

"Perkins, Drew" <drew.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on 07/01/99 02:42:03 PM

Sent by:  "Perkins, Drew" <drew.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>