RE: Distance objective <-> Install base objective

Title: RE: Distance objective <-> Install base objective

Rich,

I'm going to raise a point of concern here so that the copper ad hoc can give it some thought over the weekend, and then address my concern as they see fit.

My concern is the possible baggage that might come with the horizontal cabling objective.  My concern with the horizontal cabling is that given the developments at the end of the 802.3ab standard, there are probably a lot more IEEE members that would require a definitive proof of technical feasibility before this could be made into a standard.  I'm not so sure we want to tie the rest of the 10GbE development to that type of boat anchor.

This is just meant as food-for-thought as we move forward, and I want to make sure that the ad hoc has given consideration to this concern.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Booth
bbooth@xxxxxxxxxx
Level One Communications, Austin Design Center
(512) 407-2135 office
(512) 589-4438 cellular