Re: Does Ten-Gigabit Ethernet need fault tolerance?

Shawn,

Actually, it is a lot simpler at the MAC.  All of the fault/TCE (threshold
crossing event) sensing should be done in PHY, beneath the GMII.

For implementations that fault tolerance is desired, a PHY chip set can be used
that will provide the required protection.  This would be used primarily in
extended LAN and MAN/WAN implementations.

For implementations that do not need fault tolerance, a non-protected PHY can be
used.  This would work for server farms and other very localized installations.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom