PHYs with 10.000 and 9.584640

Hello Brad and other 10G'ers:

This looks to me like throwing the problem to the subset of PHY
implementers,
since the HSSG (read subset of marketing, system and MAC engineers) does

not know how to solve the impasse and get the 75 % approval to either
10.000 or 9.584640 Gbps.

Are these PHYs going to be capable of sending/receiving both at
10.000 and 9.584640 Gbps ? This would appear to contradict the
accepted idea in the HSSG that the future standard should be
either 10 or 9.584640 (exclusive, but not both).

Are we going to define separate PHYs, one for 10.000 and another
for 9.584640 Gbps ?  Then perhaps it would be better to define two
separate PARs and working groups, since behind these two different
clock rates are hidden many additional differences (it is not just
choosing between short-wave or long-wave laser PHYs).

Jaime

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear
San Jose, CA 95131