From: Perkins, Drew [mailto:drew.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: July 22, 1999 10:37 PM
To: 'Paul Bottorff'; 'rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'; 'Toshio Ooka'; 'HSSG'
Subject: RE: 9.584640 (framing issue)

Perhaps this was explained at one of the meetings that I missed. I do not
understand how the 9.584640 rate can work. This might be the correct rate of
the OC-192 payload, but this does not account for the byte stuffing used
with PPP/HDLC (POS). That will reduce the rate in a difficult-to-predict
manner unless the LAN side uses the same encoding mechanisms.

Has there been some proposal for a non-POS encoding that doesn't byte-stuff?
Can anyone explain this? Paul?

Drew
CIENA Corporation                    Email: ddp@xxxxxxxxx
Core Switching Division                 Tel: 408-865-6202
10201 Bubb Road                         Fax: 408-865-6291
Cupertino, CA 95014              Cell/Pager: 408-829-8298