re: PHYs with 10.000 and 9.584640

To HSSG,

From a phy chip design house:

I'd like to talk about two specific PHY implementations (even though the topic is a MAC data rate topic..)

(one possible) SONET type implementation is at 9.952Gb/s line rate, with a 2^n width (i.e. x16, x32).  The monolithic VCO's I'm familar with track a reference clock, and the VCO tuning range can easily cover a 0.05GHz range to cover both 9.952G and 10.0G.  It is reasonable for the VCO to track down to 9.584640G up to 10G if we overlook the minor issue of just the raw data rate.

The big issue would be that the 10.0G line of thinking implies 8b:10b coding.  In this case, there are two critical issues.  The mux itself will probably be a x10 (or x20) mux, which would not be the same chip.  Also, with 8b:10b the line rate would be 12.5Gb/s.  Even if the differnent mux widths were not an issue, then the VCO tuning range would be an issue.  Spanning from 9.952G to 12.5G in a integrated VCO is a technology hurdle.

One other issue for a simple serial implementation is that the x4 implemenation poses a technology problem.  The interface to a high speed mux has to be thought of as a word being latched into the mux with a common clock.  If the line rate is about 10Gb/s, then a nibble must be tranferred between chips at a 400ps unit interval.  This means that the low speed device (assumed to be CMOS), must pass a contiguous nibble with total skew between the 4 bits, including skew to the clock, of less than 200ps (assuming the CMOS guy gets 1/2 the margin budget).  This means that the receive side (the high speed mux) has a clock to Q type window of 200ps, leaving zero budget for board, connector, rise/fall time budgets and tester tolerance.  Whew!  And, if the line rate is 12.5Gbs, a x4 nibble would have a total of 320ps clock period.

The x4 proposal may be fine for the WWDM guys where deskew is assumed, but we don't want to force the simple serial approach to have deskew for two chips right next to each other.  Let's keep the x16 622MHz interface (or wider) for the 2^n interface, or a x10 (or wider) interface for the 8b:10b based approaches.

Regards, Bill

Bill Woodruff				ph: 805 496-7181 x14
GiGA North America Inc.		fax: 805 496-7507
299 W. Hillcrest Dr., Suite 206		woodruff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thousand Oaks, CA  91360		http://www.giga.dk/

NFOEC, Chicago, Booth 250, September 27-29, http://www.nfoec.com/
ECOC, Nice, Booth 31, September 27-29, http://liszt.enst.fr/ecoc99/accueil.htm