Re: 9.584640

Drew,

While I agree with you that SONET/SDH are here to stay for a long time, I do not
agree with the "encapsulation" idea.  While POS uses an encapsulation scheme, it
does not mean that 802.3 needs to use one.  Part of the high cost of POS
interfaces is the additional processing that is required for the "encapsulation"
within HDLC/PPP.  Even using SDL adds additional processing to the L1
implementation.  Directly mapping the 802.3 frames, along with the IPG into the
"payload" will not add any additional processing.  I hope that it was the
concept of directly mapping 802.3 frames in the "payload" that you were writing
about.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom