Re: Does Ten-Gigabit Ethernet need fault tolerance?

Drew,

I used the example of protection switching that I see being used for leased
fiber MAN architectures.  It is the simplest, and the most urgently needed.
This is where I see the 40km PHY being used.

For WAN architectures, 10GbE will be path terminating tributaries to the common
carrier systems.  For long haul WANs, the BLSR protection switching will be done
by the SONET/SDH LTEs/ADMs or other active optical networking systems.  With the
increase in available fiber, even BLSR and other ring implementations may
decrease for a time.  This is where I see the 2km PHY being used, with 1+1
protection for fiber maintenance.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom