RE: Leveraging OC-192c - 802.3x flow control

Rich -

I was just following up on the discussion of using
802.3x for pacing with the observation that
doing so might interact with allowing 802.3x across
the link.

There was a previous comment on that,
and I was pointing out that using 802.3x at this MAC/PLS
might mean either disallowing pacing across the link,
or having extra state within the PLS/PHY/PMD complex.

My first paragraph suggested that with the MAC/PLS interface
being in most cases hidden from the outside, 10Gb/s to OC-192
pacing mechanism need not be 802.3x or even defined in committee,
so the flow control discussion would be moot.
(The implementor simply clocks information out of the system
more slowly.  802.3x is used for the overall link, as before.)

The more important discussion, to my mind, is to make sure of good
interoperability at the PHY port WITHOUT too many different versions.
And in defining the signalling on the link, we need to keep in mind
the useful throughput we want on the link.