RE: Data rate standards vs internal switching standards

Bob,

There is such a thing as over-simplifying an issue. Years ago when
CPUs were processing at a byte rate higher than the serial bit rate of
the link data streams, a single system clock may have been a valid
reality. This may still apply to "cut-through" L2 only switches today.
It is a very "cheap" way to build a low end data hub or switch.

Data transfer rates are becoming so high that it is requiring multiple
parallel ASICs and parallel RISC processors, just to do the internal
frame routing. This does not include the processing that is being
added for L3 and L4 decision functionality. With today's high level
switches, with multi-functionality in the types of interfaces,
positioning the view that a single system clock as a requirement, is
an extreme over-simplification. I have too many discussions, with too
many vendors of high level switches, to buy into the scenario of a
single common clock for the internal processing as well as the I/O
link streams. While I can not discuss the technologies of the
different vendors, I can very safely say that I have not seen one high
end switch technology disclosure lately, that would have had a single
common clock.

I find it hard to believe that a switch with 10GbE interfaces will be
in a low end market anytime soon. Please stop applying low end
technology paradigm limitations to high end requirements.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom