RE: Proposal for accomodating 10.0000 and 9.58464 line rates

Title: RE: Proposal for accomodating 10.0000 and 9.58464 line rates

Hi Dan,

My biggest concerns with the HOLD signal implementation are the following:

Other than that, I see the basic concept and end result being effectively the same.  As for point #1, a valid concern that makes the HOLD signal a bit better (by the way, MAC deferral is half duplex only). J  As for point #2, the MAC wouldn't have to do anything for a 10 Gb/s PHY because minimum IPG would be required for that implementation and variable IPG would not exist.

I think that whether we select variable IPG or a HOLD signal implementation, they both want a 10.0 Gb/s MAC/PLS data rate that will permit a 9.58464 Gb/s payload rate.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Booth
bbooth@xxxxxxxxxx
Level One Communications, Austin Design Center
(512) 407-2135 office
(512) 589-4438 cellular