AW: Deconstructing OAM&P

I am following the OAM&P discussion only for a short time and have a
question for clarification.

Currently two data rates for 10GbE are under discussion 10 Gbit/s and
9.58464 Gbit/s. As far as I understand, 9.58464 Gbit/s is proposed as it
would allow mapping of 10 GbE into a SONET STS-192c SPE. In this case SONET
could provide all the required OAM&P functions via its section, line and
path overhead. The STS-192c SPE would be the end-to-end path discussed
below.
So I assume that the OAM&P discussion is related to the case the 10 GbE is
not transported via SONET or similary transport techniques which provide the
same OAM&P functionality (e.g. Digital Wrapper for the OTN).
Is this assumption correct?

Juergen Heiles
Siemens AG