Re: AW: Deconstructing OAM&P

Juergen,

I believe that the OAM&P discussion is separate from the speed discussion. For
example, regardless of whether the HSSG votes in either 10 Gbps or 9.58464 Gbps
as a speed objective, several folks, primarily Hon Wah Chin or Optical Networks,
has suggested that we carefully look at each of the elements of OAM&P for
possible consideration as additional HSSG objectives.

It is not appropriate for the HSSG to address any issue related to existing
SONET OC-192 and its associted OAM&P specs.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Heiles Juergen wrote:

> I am following the OAM&P discussion only for a short time and have a
> question for clarification.
>
> Currently two data rates for 10GbE are under discussion 10 Gbit/s and
> 9.58464 Gbit/s. As far as I understand, 9.58464 Gbit/s is proposed as it
> would allow mapping of 10 GbE into a SONET STS-192c SPE. In this case SONET
> could provide all the required OAM&P functions via its section, line and
> path overhead. The STS-192c SPE would be the end-to-end path discussed
> below.
> So I assume that the OAM&P discussion is related to the case the 10 GbE is
> not transported via SONET or similary transport techniques which provide the
> same OAM&P functionality (e.g. Digital Wrapper for the OTN).
> Is this assumption correct?
>
> Juergen Heiles
> Siemens AG

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx