RE: AW: Deconstructing OAM&P

> I find it ironic that many of the arguments put forth about Ethernet in
> the WAN environment are very similar to the old arguments put forth by
> the token ring camp about the proper way to manage a LAN environment.

Right on Walt.

I have been trying to keep a low profile on this reflector, but sometimes
the temptation becomes too great.

Personally, I strongly believe that expanding Ethernet into the WAN is a good
thing. But, there is a limit to how far we can go before we ruin the essence
of what Ethernet is all about. I suspect that I am not the only one in 802.3
that feels that way...

Quite frankly, I find the argument made by a few people that the mere fact that
we are using fiber optics as a transmission medium for Ethernet somehow leaves
us with no other choice but to embrace the WAN with all of its baggage, utterly
ridiculous. Following this philosophy, if we decide to run Ethernet over barbed
wire, we will have no choice but to move 802.3 under the auspices of the
Department of Corrections...

							Shimon.