Re: Long distance links

Mark,

I believe you're on the right track insofar as digging to the root of the
management issue. The fact of the matter is that Ethernet does it one way, and
SONET does it another. My sense is the same as yours: "...instead of
transporting management info on dedicated
circuits, use TCP/IP and packets.  It's the histroric trend, moving up the
protocol stack."

I have asked numerous questions over this reflector trying to get at the core of
requirements for WAN management. I've seen no responses to those questions. BTW,
I'm sill very much interested in hearing the responses to these questions.

Without knowing the requirements for SONET WAN management, I have to believe
that Ethernet Management, ULP (e.g. Ping, SNMP, Browser) management mechanisms,
Etherenet PHY capabilities for determining things like the BER of each link,
represent sufficient architecture to implement WAN management equivalent or
superior to that of SONET.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Gerhold, Mark" wrote:

> All,
>
> It sounds as if one of the biggest issues here is with the optical
> repeaters.  If I understand correctly, Sonet repeaters are instrumented so
> that the administrator can isolate problems without sending out a truck.
>
> Consider using a 2-port "LAN" switch instead of a repeater.  Switches today
> provide lots of remote maintenance features, including
>
> o Ping (for I'm alive)
> o SNMP (for tons of performance statistics, and alarms)
> o Browser management (for ease of use)
>
> With a switch, instead of transporting management info on dedicated
> circuits, use TCP/IP and packets.  It's the histroric trend, moving up the
> protocol stack.
>
> Here's a question on a similar vein.  Are WDM amplifiers instrumented to
> isolate BER problems?  I thought they did optical amplification.  Capturing
> BER info sounds tough.
>
> Thanks,(signing off)
>
> Mark Gerhold
> Unisys

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx