Re: Long distance links

Roy:

In spite of differences, we all have one thing in common, which is to connect
all the global Ethernet LAN sites together through WAN at the most
cost-effective method.  LAN people are determined to extend their $28 billion
market into the $230 billion WAN market.  So far, we are trying to achieve
the same goal by making the conversion from LAN to WAN, simple, and low cost.

I tried to find out where is our difference?  The difference is whether we
should be responsible for "LAN to WAN conversion" only, or we should also
extend our responsibility to assure the installed bases are preserved without
added cost.

I believe the objective is clear -- the latter one is correct.

Your proposal of "WAN compatible PHY" is to make 10GbE PHY = WAN PHY, which
will impose 9.58..Gbps, NRZ scramble code and SONET OAM into IEEE 802.3 10GbE
standard.  I think we like to keep IEEE 802.3 an Ethernet standard, but not a
SONET standard.

In order to make this "WAN compatible PHY" to talk to the rest of Ethernet
LANs, the "LAN to WAN conversion" will take place in every individual
Ethernet terminals, which add unnecessary cost to the installed bases.

I am not reasoning the WAN/PHY is much more expensive than a LAN/PHY, but I
am reasoning the unnecessary cost added to each terminals.  They should be
tranparent from the LAN-to-WAN conversion issue -- no change.

Why we cannot locate your "WAN compatible PHY" at only one location at the
LAN entering point from WAN.  That will do exactly what you want to do --
Ethernet Frame, 9.584. Gbps, some kind of OAM to deal optical fault issues.
I have not seen any good reason to insist that the conversion should be
located inside the LAN.

We need a LAN/PHY to keep 10/100/1000/10000 Mbps compatible.  We definitely
need WAN/PHYs to interconnect all Ethernet LANs together, which the strong
market demand will create, with or without us anyway.  I believe what you are
proposing is that HSSG is the logical body at the right moment to create it.
I would agree.

Therefore, we need both LAN/PHY and WAN/PHY?

Regards,

Ed Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
EChang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Ed,
>
>  I have seen and heard a lot of issue about the WAN compatible MAC/PHY
being
> more
>  expensive than a LAN only MAC/PHY.  Has anyone done any actual cost
analysis?

>  Having done development work before, even if it was some time ago,  the
> ability to
>  use existing technology and chips was always less expensive for initial
>  deployment. A lower frequency signal encode and decode was always less
> expensive
>  over the long term.  Semi-static information processing was always less
> expensive
>  was less expensive than active information processing.  Unless it is
legacy
> WAN
>  vendors trying to protect their control and high profit margins for WAN
>  interfaces, I can not see why a WAN compatible PHY should be more
expensive
> than a
>  LAN only PHY at the same laser powers.  I have seen nothing to support it
> that
>  assumption.  As a customer, I would like to see the WAN comparable costs
> the
>  LAN interfaces.  As a customer, I would like to be able to take the same
> type of
>  interface and use it where ever my implementation architecture requires.
As
>  customer I would like to be able to have unmodified 802.3 frames delivered
> from
>  any one place to any other place with the least expense, in both equipment
> and
>  support costs.
>
>  Thank you,
>  Roy Bynum
>  MCI WorldCom
>
>  NetWorthTK@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>  > Additional Comments:
>  >
>  > I think we all brought up good discussions to nail down the specifics to
>  > enabling decision making.
>  >
>  > I agreed Paul's light SONET/PHY (WAN/PHY),  which is the necessary
>  > requirement to let 10GbE extend its market share into the Global market,
> and
>  > to become the dominant force in the marketplace.  A private GbE user in
US