Re: Long distance links

Brad,

I completely agree with you. I was only pointing out that the SILICON GATE COUNT argument for an OC-192 PHY vs. a straigtforward 10 GbE PHY (simple 10X speed-up of 1 GbE PHY) is probably not effective because its such a small piece of the total 10 Gbps PHY cost.

I agree that there are significant additional overhead processing costs incurred in a LAN which is forced to meet all of the requirements of a WAN PHY.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Booth, Brad" wrote:

Rich,

I agree that there are a lot of other things that can impact the cost other than silicon gate count.  If all other components of the two systems were equal, the WAN would still cost more (in silicon or in processing cycles) than the LAN due to the requirements to process the overhead.

Thanks,
Brad

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx