Re: Please help to clarify some things!

Mick,

I am not in any way suggesting a change in the way that IP based data
communications systems change the way that they do network management.  I am
stating that it will not do for the carrier transmissions systems.  Please do
not confuse the separate issues.

Customer Ethernet switches at either end of a WAN path will still use the SNMP
network management that is so common.  It may be that some transmission
equipment vendors may even be convinced to provide some SNMP visibility at the
10GbE interface on the long haul transmission line terminating or DWDM
equipment.

The common service carriers will want to have something other than SNMP
available for the equipment that they own, and the element management
communications for that equipment will be carried out of band.  This is a
totally separate issue from the SNMP management of Ethernet switches.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom