From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Roy Bynum
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 1999 10:43 PM
To: mick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: 'HSSG'
Subject: Re: Please help to clarify some things!

Mick,

Again, you are confusing the issues.  Out of band network management can use
IP
as the transport protocol.  TL1 over TCP/IP is commonly used.  What is not
used
is element and network management based on SNMP in band with the customer
data
for transmission network elements.  IS-IS is also used as the transport
protocol
for transmission network element and network management.  The element
management
protocol for IS-IS is CMISE/Q3.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom

Mick Seaman wrote:

> Roy,
>
> In terms of not confusing issues, can you clarify your statement "it will
> not do for the carrier transmissions systems".
>
> Do you mean that IP based network management (a) does not possess the
> functionality, or (b) the people who may procure the equipment have other
> ideas so they will not buy this irrespective of technical merit?
>
> Further can we clarify here what you mean by "carrier transmission
systems".
> If these are existing pieces of equipment what you say is trivially true.
If