Link Model / K-factors / MPN

All,
During a conversation with Rick Neumann yesterday regarding k-factors and
Mode-partition-noise (MPN), he drug out a paper of a method proposed in a
poster paper at OFC'88 that permits a MPN measurement using equipment
available to almost all optical transceiver companies, a spectrometer.

Rick mentioned that he has built a spreadsheet and did some experiments in a
previous life that validated the model to at least the first order.

We scanned this and then dumped it in a pdf file (not as good as the bitmap,
but 1/16 the size). While not crisp, I believe it is fairly readable. See
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/email_attach/ofc88_pos
ter142.pdf

Would this technique be useful in an updated model?

jonathan

p.s. Thanks David for putting this on the web site.  jt

Jonathan Thatcher "jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Vice President Product Marketing, Picolight Incorporated
4665 Nautilus Court South, Suite 3, Boulder CO 80301
Phone: 303-530-3189 X238; Fax: 303-530-4897