FW: Link Model

I have had a number of questions regarding the link model published to the
reflector. From my personal records, I found a copy of the link model write
up that we had in annex A of 802.3z draft 3.2. (later deleted and not
included in the standard). This information is intended for your personal
use and not for distribution or publication.

I have deleted out the reset of clause 38 and published this annex as:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/email_attach/cls38a_dr
aft3.2.pdf

Rich Taborek did a search on related issues in the archives. These are
appended below per his append to the reflector.

Additionally, I would like to reference the following book:
"Gigabit Ethernet Networking"
Macmillan Technical Publishing;
ISBN: 1-57870-062-0;
chapter 9: "The Gigabit Ethernet Optical Link Model."

None of these sources represent a complete background on the model. Taken
together, a number of the assumptions, history, analysis, recommendations,
process, and trade-offs are still missing. Still, this is probably the best
collection of sources compiled to date for this information. There is no
tutorial available on how to use the model.

For those wanting a more detailed understanding of the model, I would highly
recommend doing what those of us who have attained such an understanding
have done: experiment with the model.

jonathan