Re: Hari

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

Before we commence constructing a DMZ between the LAN and WAN 10GbE camps,
may I remind one and all that Vitesse offered a proposal at the Kauai HSSG
which we believe will provide an alternative path to peaceful
co-existence.  Our proposal allowed the MAC to run at 10 Gb/s, and
suggested a "pause" or "rate-match" function on the XGMII to allow HARI to
run at 2.9952 Gb/s on each of the four lines if it is intended for WAN
connection.  We stated that a HARI to SONET LITE framer could be
implemented in CMOS, and could use the OIF-proposed standard 16- bit Serdes
to serialize the date in an OC-192 COMPATIBLE format.  We, as chip makers,
believe this is quite achievable, and provides both camps with what they
want.  If there are those who disagree, please reply.

Fred Weniger
Gigabit Product Marketing Manager
805-388-7571
weniger@xxxxxxxxxxx