10 GbE PHY

Jaime,

I couldn't agree more with your statement on
the need for separate consideration of the fiber,
copper, and backplane PHY implementations.

Part of the confusion generated by the HARI proposal
is it purports to be a solution to the fiber PHY.  I
believe this is an extension of the technology which is
difficult to accept.

Pat Gilliland
patgil@xxxxxxxxxxx

Paul,

Thank you for your clarifying diagram. It seems that we have
3 (three) possible families of 10 GbE PHYs according to the
medium used to transport the bits:

    1) PHYs over optical fiber
    2) PHYs over cat-6 UTP or shielded Copper wire
    3) PHYs over PCBs  and backplanes

Each family has its own  specific set of objectives and problems
to solve (for instance: maximum supported distance). Enough to
thrill and keep busy many good designers.

My feeling is that the proponents of the second and third families of
PHYs will still have to come with a separate PAR of their own.

Jaime

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear
San Jose, CA 95131