Re: HARI Latency

Dan:

I don't think anybody has agreed on objectives for Hari. Certainly the
committee
has no agreement on objectives for Hari.

From my point of view Hari's purpose to connect between chips on PCBs or
over backplanes. It is a transmission link not an interface and provides a
complete PHY/PMD over PCB traces. It can be used to connect a MAC to a
LAN-PMD or to connect two MACs over a backplane. I believe we should have
some objectives for Hari like: operates on up to 1 meter for PCB trace with
2 connectors at an error rate under 1 in 10-12, provides a certain degree
of skew correction (pick a number), can be interfaced to an LAN-PHY using a
jitter elimination buffer (this is a 2 port repeater of sorts), limits E&M
emission, etc.

Cheers,

Paul

At 10:48 AM 12/16/99 -0700, DOVE,DANIEL J (HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:

>Hi Rich,
>
>Would you respond to my earlier point about HARI byte vs word striping
>and the negligible latency impact when applied to a PMD interface?
>
>I believe that word striping offers simplicity and preserves the 8B10B
>coding used for GigE at the expense of additional latency, but I also
>believe that this latency has virtually ZERO impact when applied to the
>PMD implementations which are going to swamp it.
>
>On the other hand, I believe that word striping latency would seriously
>impact backplane implementations, however, this is not the stated objective
>for HARI, is it? If not, why should we not go to word striping?
>
>Dan Dove
>
>___________     _________________________________________________________
>_________    _/    ___________  Daniel Dove         Principal Engineer __
>_______     _/        ________  dan_dove@xxxxxx     LAN PHY Technology __
>_____      _/           ______  Hewlett-Packard Company                __
>____      _/_/_/ _/_/_/  _____  Workgroup Networks Division            __
>____     _/  _/ _/  _/   _____  8000 Foothills Blvd. MS 5555           __
>_____   _/  _/ _/_/_/   ______  Roseville, CA 95747-5555               __
>______        _/      ________  Phone: 916 785 4187                    __
>_______      _/      _________  Fax  : 916 785 1815                    __

Paul A. Bottorff, Director Switching Architecture
Enterprise Solutions Technology Center
Nortel Networks, Inc.
4401 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
Tel: 408 495 3365 Fax: 408 495 1299 ESN: 265 3365
email: pbottorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx