Re: PAM-5 at 5 Gbaud

Hello Edward,

First, thank you for participating in the PAM-5
discussion.

And now to some of your points:

1) Achievable BERs using PAM-5

I would not link multilevel coding with high BERs. The
 multilevel coding in Fast Ethernet and 1000BASE-T
(PAM-3 and PAM-5, respectively) reached
only 10^(-10) because the medium, unshielded
twisted pair Copper wire, had very strong ISI at
the distances they wanted to reach, 100 meters.
At 100 meters of cat-5 Copper wire the eye at the
input of the receiver is completely closed due
to strong ISI.

In the present case, we use fiber instead of
Copper wire and the target distance of my proposal
(4-WDM at 1.25 Gbaud using 850 nm lasers on
multimode fiber) is 160 meters using the 160 MHz*km
type MMF.

At 160 meters using this type of MMF the ISI
is small and the optical eye is completely open. Hence,
we are back to achievable 10^(-12) system BERs.

   ---> Personally, I believe that a wide open
        optical eye at the targetted link length
        is necessary to reach a BER of 10^(-12).
        This is another reason why I look with
        suspicion towards proposals that claim
        to achieve large link lengths using DFEs
        (equalizers) to open the eye.

2) Optical links using multilevel coding

If there is a need to transport many Gbps
on a single limited-bandwidth fiber, and if
it is technical feasible and makes economical
sense (cheaper) - it will happen. There are
many advantages of running at 1.25 Gbaud instead
of 3.125 Gbaud.

3) The key issue

The big "if", in my opinion, is in the laser
linearity. When I was a kid I was puzzled by
the kinks in the light-vs-current characteristics
of the lasers (I even published two papers in
the IEEE J. of QE back in ... xxxx). The problem
then was that the lasing filament in the early
lasers did not like to stay in the same place
because it was not well confined in the
lateral dimension (parallel to the layers).
The sudden jumps of the lasing filament in the
lateral direction as we increased the input
current gave rise to the coarse non-linearities
in the L-vs-I characteristics (kinks).

The solution ? Use lasers with good confinement
in the lateral dimension so the lasing filament
can not move and then you will achieve good
linearity characteristics. I think that we will
hear a presentation on laser linearity in the March
meeting.

4) technical specifications

I agree with you that there is a large amount
of work to be done before we can fill-in the
Tables with actual numbers in a PAM-5 proposal.
In my opinion, this will happen only if we
eliminate the present paralyzing multiplicity
of PAM-5 proposals and we come out from the
March meeting with one and only one clearly
supported proposal for PAM-5.

Jaime

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear