Re: PAM-5, what are your BERs ?

Hi Vivel:

From theoretical point of view, you reasoning makes some points.  However,
from the real implementation point of view,  it is not quite true.  Before
starting analyzing the frequency response, just ask a question:  "If we can
simply keep equalizing the receiving signals to bring them back to the
looking-alike to the original, transmitting signal, why we bother all those
bandwidth issues?  There must be some limitations to the equalization
technique.

The eye closure is caused by the insufficient bandwidth of a receiving path;
as a result, the narrow pulse (higher frequency pulse) is much more
attenuated than the wider pulse (lower frequency pulse).  We can cascade a
high-pass frequency response equalizer to suppers the amplitude of a wide
pulse, and keep the amplitude of the narrow pulse remain unchanged (but not
amplified) to open the eye.  However, if the amplitude of a narrow pulse is
already too small to meet the minimum S/N requirement, the equalizer is
useless.  Theoretically, a linear amplifier can be added to bring the signal
amplitude up to meet the minimum S/N requirement.  The linear amplifier will
need a BW larger than the transmitting signal rise time.  Furthermore, any
deficiencies in the linearity, will add both timing and amplitude distortion
to the received data.  The additional distortion is not included in the
jitter specification; as a result, the link will cause higher BER.
Especially in a high data rate link, a linear amplifier may cause more errors
than the expected benefit.  In practice, it is impractical to add a linear
amplifier.

The right way is to keep eye open at the receiver input.

Regards,

Ed Chang

NetWorth Technologies, Inc.

> Hello Jaime and 10G'ers,
>
>  I had to jump in to try and correct this misconception of  the "eye
opening
> requirement". While it is true that the "open eye" is always a good thing,
it
> is definitely not a requirement for low BER reception. If it were a
> requirement, the tried and true 100BaseTX Ethernet would not be functioning
> today. Many existing implementations of 100BaseTX silicon easily achieve
BERs