RE: Unified PMD vs. Unified PHY

Jonathan:

I did have a couple of concerns regarding possible areas of potential bias
in the survey.

In the first place, I was uncomfortable with the fact that the UniPHY
occupied 4/7 (57%) of the option set for the first question. This has the
potential of creating an inherent "option bias" which could potentially skew
the results in the UniPHY direction.

Secondly, since the independently optimized LAN and WAN PHY was perhaps a
more realistic option than the WAN only or LAN only options it perhaps
should not have been sandwiched  between these and the UniPHY series of
options for fear of the "orphan effect".

Perhaps the UniPHY series of options could have been shortened at, say ">20
%". In the same vein, maybe the independent optimized LAN/WAN PHY could have
had other options like "total cost equal to UniPHY cost" or perhaps "total
cost <=x% of UniPHY cost".

With regard to the second question, the options read to me like a ranked or
sorted set. To minimize the potential for bias it would perhaps had been
better to have randomized the options.

I have no sense of what the possible magnitude of bias in the survey results
is or even if it is significant enough to warrant undue concern.

Best Regards,

-Nevin Jones
System Architect
Lucent Microlectronics