RE: RE: 8b/10b and EMI packaging

Robert and All:

You have a good initial, practical, engineering approach to the EMI issues.
Also, you have given a few actual examples to show how to approach the
issue, which is right.

The EMI issue is nothing but another design issue we as an engineer has to
resolve in the course of a product development.  Of course, it is one of the
specialized fields among system design, software design, optical design,
board design, mechanical design....etc, which require certain expertise to
complete the task effectively.

Apply all the good, EMI reduction, common practices including one of them,
optimum code.  After implementing all the fundamental requirements, sit back
and relax, then think about one question: what is the unique EMI issue at 10
Gbps?  Probably, as you mentioned, much higher sensitivity to the antenna
effect.  The amplitude effect is, probably, in our favor, because the higher
frequency signals will be shorted much easier by stray capacitances, and
resisted by line inductances to propagate.

For the next couple of months, sleep on the focused issue, try the solution,
improve the solution, finalize the solution ----- then, take a vacation to
Hawaii to watch sun rise, sun set, ocean waves, and enjoy it.

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
EChang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx