RE: Unified PMD vs. Unified PHY

Mike,

I guess my use of the word "application" was a little sloppy. I should have
been more precise and said the network transport layer (i.e. IP, IPX, etc.)
sets the packet size (obviously based on how the upper layer applications
are using the network).

What I was trying to highlight is that in normal LAN traffic, packets are
not coalesced into larger packets, but kept individually with an IPG between
each one. So, though a mixture of large and small frames may "average" to
400 bytes or so, the physical layer actually sees bimodal peaks of small and
large frames. What I was asking Roy was whether he was advocating some kind
of coalescing function to combine small frames into larger ones.

Clearer?

Walter Thirion
wthirion@xxxxxxxxxxxx