RE: PAM-5, what are your BERs ?

Jaime:

I agree that your analyses are solid.  No question in my mind.

My real question is what caused the PAM-5 link to yield BER of 10^-3 or
10^-4?

I believe the only answer is that the complex data recovery requirements of
the multilevel coding caused the BER to go up.  Therefore, the solution is
obvious, let us revisit the data recovery circuit to improve its BER.  If
there is a document of the PAM-5 data recovery circuit, or decoder
available, I can be one of the volunteers to help to improve it.

At the data rate of 10 Gbps, the BER of 10^-3 means every second there are
10^7 bits of errors from the recovered data.  In our normal qualification
tests of BER 10^-12, only the defected parts will yield such a high BER.  I
do not feel comfortable to count on FEC to take care of the defected parts.
I will feel more comfortable, if the raw BER is near 10^-8, or 10^-9.

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
Plymouth Meeting, PA