Re: 8b/10b and EMI

Kamran, Rick, and All,

As far as EMI by idle pattern is concerned, I don't believe the way
in IEEE1394b is a good idea for XAUI.  However, it may be worth to
consider data, not idle, scrambling before 8b/10b coding if the
repetitive input data patterns such as all zeroes are problem as
Rick has pointed out.

As I understand, IEEE1394b requires some kind of training sequence
with K28.5 to establish byte syncronization.   Once the training is
completed, data and idle are scrambled and then encoded to 10b,
where D28.5 is always replaced by K28.5 to enable byte syncronization
check.

It's my knowledge from the pre-mature draft doccument.  Please
let me know if this is obsolete.

Regards,
Osamu

At 2:42 PM -0800 00.3.17, Rick Walker wrote:
> The problem is also with repetitive input data patterns, such as all
> zeroes, or all ones.  Such patterns are very common in computer data
> transmisssion.

Osamu Ishida
NTT Network Innovation Laboratories
TEL:+81-468-59-3263 FAX:+81-468-55-1282