RE: XAUI/XGXS protocol

Truman,

Thanks for the responses. There are a couple where the questioner and the
responder didn't quite connect. I guess just demonstrates again some of the
inefficiencies of this type of communication. Let me try again. The message
is getting confusing with the multiple imbeds, but let me do this "in line."

jonathan

My comment was a statement of the fact that the proposed serial solutions
will not work on multimode fiber at the distances required in our
objectives. This is simply a premise for points 2 and 6, to which you
agreed.

> > 2. It is therefore required that SLP support at least one
> of the WWDM, PAM,
> > or Parallel proposals.
>
> I haven't looked at PAM with SLP, but the others are straightforward.
>
> > 3. I simply can't make the jump from SLP to PAM, so I won't try.
> > 4. SLP must therefore support either 4, 8, or 12 lanes for
> either the WWDM
> > or Parallel proposals OR SLP will be used only with serial
> and something
> > else would be used for the lane'd versions.
>
> First, let's make sure we distinguish between XAUI and PCS. Deskewing
> and frame delineation are separate tasks in SLP -- frame delineation
> is performed AFTER deskewing (not in conjunction).

I understand. But (to be continued...),

> [...]
> case related to
> > the XAUI/XGXS interface and the PCS supporting SLP. While
> these may be
> > dismissed because XAUI is not officially adopted, I don't
> consider the PMA
> > interface (also four lanes) optional (based on the comments above).
> >

> Agreed.
>
> > I therefore have a number of things that I would like
> clarifications on:
> > 1. Am I correct that in a 4-wide WWDM PMA interface (for
> instance), that we
> > would see the T-Flag (12 bytes) split between the 4 lanes
> becoming 3 bytes
> > on each lane? (reference pages 4 and page 13 of your New
> Mexico presentation
> >
> (http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/azadet_1
> _0300.pdf)?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2. If so, how is the synchronization and deskew
> accomplished on this set of
> > 3 byte fields (continued in questions below)?
> > 3. I assume that the matching to the T-Flag must occur
> across all four
> > lanes. Otherwise the calculations on page 7 would use 24
> instead of 96 and
> > go to you know where. What is the proposed scheme for
> keeping this robust
> > without misaligning the columns, and making the
> synchronization complicated?
>
> From Kameran's email:
> /quote
> Regardless of whether a packet delineation scheme is
> scrambled or un-scrambled,
> bytes sent on four lanes can be scrambled, using
> EMI-optimized scrambling. In
> their SUPI proposal, Nortel presented an elegant way to do
> deskewing in a
> "protocol
> independent" fashion. For instance by removing one byte of
> idle per IPG, one
> can insert un-scrambled columns of control characters such as:
> A K R
> A K R
> A K R
> A K R
> (to be consistent with your byte striped HARI proposal). This
> requires an
> insert/delete FIFO. A, K and R are bytes instead of 10b
> words. One can remove
> a whole column of Rs without affecting the T-flag. Please
> note the line rate on
> each lane can be exactly 2.500 Gb/s. No rate conversion
> circuitry is necessary.
> /endquote
>
> T-flag is not affected, since you look for T-flag AFTER
> deskewing is done.
> __________________
>
> > According to my brief calculations, a match of the 24 bits
> (assuming never a
> > drop of one of the idle bytes) occurs on an average of 60
> times per second
> > assuming that you never match across byte boundaries (a rather bad
> > assumption, no?).
>
> Deskew and packet delineation are two separate concerns.

(...continued), it is here that I am having the most problem understanding
how the system works. From a cold start, a Gigabit Ethernet, 8B/10B system
uses a process like this:
1. Acquire bit synchronization
2. Acquire byte synchronization (detection of the K28.5 character is
sufficient; assumes no scrambling); this scheme includes hysteresis for
acquisition and loss of synchronization.
4. Go. Check K28.5's on a regular basis to immediately resync if sync is
lost (built into the hysteresis algorithm).

Now, if the data or control characters, after 8B/10B encoding where
scrambled (I know that this is absurd, I mention this for the purpose of
explaining my question in greater detail), then it would be necessary to
modify the above scheme in order to acquire byte synchronization. If the
control characters were scrambled then the stream would have to be
descrambled prior to byte synchronization (i.e., detection of the K28.5
character). But, this wouldn't work because the descrambling wouldn't work
unless the byte synchronization were complete. Some completely different
synchronization mechanism would therefore be required, which would likely
include some kind of trial and error scheme. If, on the other hand, only the
data were scrambled (again, assume after 8B/10B encoding), then the data
would create false K28.5 characters and mess up the hysteresis algorithm. In
short, in both cases, the synchronization process would be broken and some
completely new procedure would have to be created.

With the XAUI proposal, the lane deskew simply adds an additional process
step:
3. (I bet you were wondering why I skipped 3 above :-), acquire lane
synchronization (assume a hysteresis algorithm similar to the one used for
byte synchronization).

So, yes, lane deskew and packet delineation are in fact separate issues.
But, the entire synchronization and deskew process is dependent on the
coding, delineation, and scrambling selection.

It is, therefore, difficult for me to separate these issues. We need to see
the entire proposal with all the pieces to figure out how it works.

> > 4. Can I assume that the EOP (byte 1 of the T-Flag) always
> exists on the
> > same lane? If so, what are the assumptions about
> maintaining lane integrity?
> > Is the scheme consistent with the serial assumptions?
>
> That is not assumed.

Not making this assumption has the consequence of complicating the pattern
matching required for the synchronization and lane deskew. How much is
unknown since the entire scheme is not yet documented.

> > 5. If you scramble the control codes (page 9), how do you
> bit sync prior to
> > the demux since you can't descramble until you have
> alignment, or, is the
> > intent to descramble in the serial mode? What is the logic for
> > simultaneously bit syncing, descrambling, and detection of
> the alignment? If
> > it isn't simultaneous, what is the "process?"
>
> Scrambling is done for each lane separately. The descramblers
> are reset
> periodically when the alignment blocks are recognized --
> /A/K/R/ on each
> lane simultaneously, within the maximum skew window, defines the
> "synchronization instant".

This question was not intended to have a strong lane implication. The
question was primarily one of byte alignment. Let me try again and meanwhile
fix a problem in the question:

5. If you scramble the control codes (page 9), how do you !byte! sync since
the descrambler doesn't work without byte alignment.... what is the logic
for simultaneously !byte! syncing, and descrambling. We will assume that
after this is done, lane alignment can be accomplished. With this
assumption, there must be a loop back to earlier levels of synchronization
depending on the hysteresis algorithm and the robustness of the overall
scheme to erroneous synchronization.

> > 6. What is the math that shows the time to resync (bit to
> byte to lane) all
> > lanes under worst case assumptions about detection errors
> (as in question
> > number 3 above)?
>
> We'll put this in an appendix of the SLP document. (Leilei
> Song is writing
> this up).
>
> > 7. If you don't scramble, does the idle stream on one of
> the lanes become
> > something like: 1011,0001 (randomly chosen from page 11) repeated
> > indefinitely? Three of the four lanes would have this exact pattern
> > simultaneously?
>
> What we've proposed is to scramble the control characters, with the
> exception of a periodic control sequence
> A K R
> A K R
> A K R
> A K R

You have proposed the scramble of the control characters as one of the
options. If you scramble the control characters, the byte synchronization
becomes more complicated and needs to be explained. If you don't, question 7
remains.