Re: XAUI and 64b/66b

> From: "Roy Bynum" <rabynum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "HSSG" <stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: XAUI and 64b/66b
> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:24:37 -0600

> I use the term "legacy" for 8B10B because it is left over from the Gigabit
> Ethernet standard.    Frame deliniation and scamble coding are new to this
> group, just as 8B10B was before Gigabit Ethernet.
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum

Roy,

In fact scrambling is specified in the 100BASE-TX PMD (802.3u-1995),
and the Sun Ultra 1 workstation I am using to clarify your
misconception has been faithfully scrambling its Fast Ethernet traffic
since I got it in 1996.  So, in 802.3, the term "legacy" might apply more
to scrambling than 8B10B.

I am constantly enlightened by this thread on the reflector, but the
latest trend of "exposing" motives behind participant's positions
creates a Mother-in-lawish style of exchange (no offense intended).

Ariel Hendel
Sun Microsystems