RE: Renaming the WAN PHY

Dave,

Having been down a similar path with POS (Packet-over-SONET) I don't see how
you can have a SONET compatible phy that isn't SONET compliant.  As I
understood it the reason for having a SONET framed interface in the first place
was to be compatible with the installed SONET based transport and DWDM
networks. To meet this requirement I think the interface has to be SONET
compliant, in the same way that POS interfaces have to be compliant with all
the appropriate Bellcore and ITU SONET/SDH standards.

I think it would be very confusing to  to have an interface that 'looks and
feels' like SONET but in fact isn't. If that is really the intent then I think
it needs to be clearly distinguished from a 'real' SONET interface.

Gary Nicholl .............