RE: Renaming the WAN PHY

Title: RE: Renaming the WAN PHY

Nevin,

Our WAN PHY proposal has been very clearly documented in:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/nov99/figueira_2_1199.pdf

The PCS functionality (encapsulation) was further presented in January in:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/jan00/figueira_1_0100.pdf

The PMA functionality (mapping into simplified STS-192c) was presented in March in:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/figueira_1_0300.pdf

supported by 15+ individuals. If you have any technical questions on clarity after
reviewing these documents, please itemize them and they will be addressed.

Regarding 10GE interworking with SONET, I addressed that in my reply to Gary.

Regarding the naming alternatives, I would agree that staying away from using the term
SONET would be wise.

...Dave

David W. Martin
Nortel Networks