Re: 16-bit 625Mbaud XGMII

Hi

> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:59:59 -0800
> To: Andreas Bechtolsheim <avb@xxxxxxxxx>, stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx,
kardontchik.jaime@xxxxxxxxxxx
> From: JR Rivers <jrrivers@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: 16-bit 625Mbaud XGMII
>

> How about 1.25 Gbaud LVDS?

Operating at 1.25 Gbaud LVDS and source synchronous would require deskew as your
bit period is only 800 ps.    Also differential signal have the inherent with in
the pair skew.  Most differential signal are often routed as two single ended in
any complex board.

I would be comfortable with 612.5 Mb/s single ended with HSTL like levels.  In
the case of single ended the I/O pin are equal to differential at 1.25 Gb/s. You
would need to add additional ground/power pins for single ended ~25%.

Here is an example:
Differential GssGssGssGssG 4*1.25 = 5Gb/s
Single Ended GsGsGsGsGsGsG 6*0.6125= 3.75 Gb/s

But your data rate is half as high with bit period of 1.6 ns, which allow for
source synchronous transmission!

Thanks,

Ali Ghiasi
Sun Microsystems