Re: Interface reality check

Rich,

There seems to be 2 separate issues in your message: the physical
instantiations and the IDLE encodings across the PCS. I think we
should be able to put the first issue to bed.

The physical instantiation can be XGMII, XAUI, both or neither or
anything else anyone wants for that matter. It should not be part
of the standard to force any implementation on anyone. These are
optional instances and have 2 different purposes:
- The XGMII is defined because it is a simple, straightforward
  representation of the information supplied and needed by the
  Reconciliation Sublayer. We'll probably hang an electrical
  specification on it so it can reasonably be implemented but it
  is not a requirement for anyone to do so;
- The XAUI is defined because it enables a reasonable distance
  between components on the PCB and is designed to carry all
  information supplied and needed by the RS by encoding that
  data further taking into account realities of this interface
  such as the alignment problems (comma alignment as well as
  lane alignment) and EMI concerns. Again, an electrical
  specification is being associated with this interface so it
  can reasonably be implemented but it is not a requirement for
  anyone to do so.

The real issue of my original question and all these subsequent
messages has been the content of the information encoded by the
PCS. The first issue has continued to bounce back up because we
are all not perfect in our nomenclature. I suggest that in the
future, if someone has a concern about the possible physical
instantiations, they start a new thread (as some have already
done with the electrical specs for an XGMII). If someone is
responding to this thread it is in the interest of discussing
the topic of encodings and not the physical instantiations and
if someone uses the wrong nomenclature, we all need to be a
little patient and not assume that they want to change the
interfaces.

That was kind of long so I'll make further comments in a separate
email to keep the topics separate.

Ben

Rich Taborek wrote:

> [...]
> > > then its inputs and output can be whatever the group thinks is the
> > > best signalling interface between those layers, but by definition
> > > (since it would be below the PCS), in this instance XAUI would be
> > > transporting whatever coding the PCS used.  But even this could be
> > > done with an envelope as opposed to a decode/recode.
> >
> > Every layer, in addition to any layer-specific function, must at least
> > transmit logical Ethernet signalling information.
> >
> > XGMII is perhaps the most succinct specification of a pure-logical Ethernet
> > signalling layer.  (please pardon my non-standard language here...)
> >
> > What I'm trying to say is that any idiosyncratic PCS coding of a particular
> > PMD should never need to be supported by the PCS of any other PMD-style.
> >
> > Any /A/ columns or scrambled idles used by XAUI should stop at the XAUI
> > boundary.  The 64b/66b serial PCS/PMD has no business accepting or
> > transmitting these codes.
>
> I believe that you are missing the point here. If 64B/66B needs to transport
> codes other than /I/ for any reason, then 64B/66B it should. I don't have a big
> problem with converting /I/ to an /A/K/R/ stream and vice-versa and understand
> that these conversions may be necessary for some implementations. However, this
> is an IMPLEMENTATION issue.
>
> The question back to you is what about 64B/66B transporting codes other than /I/
> generated at the Reconciliation Sublayer?
>
> Also, 64B/66B is not even currently defined to transport /I/, it is only defined
> to transport /A/K/R/. I'll propose the transport of /I/ in 64B/66B in a separate
> note.
>
> > This is easy to see if you are willing to view XAUI as a copper PCS/PMD.
> > It should, like all the other physical transmission systems be defined
> > w.r.t.  the lowest common denominator of logical Ethernet signalling:
> > eg: XGMII.
>
> The XGMII is proposed as an optional interface. Since when did it become
> Ethernet's LCD?
>
> > In this way, all PCS/PMD combinations act as simple logical XGMII
> > extenders, whether 20 inches over copper, or 40 km over fiber, or at
> > several variants in cascade.
>
> I think you mean "instantiations of the PCS Service interface" instead of
> "PCS/PMD combinations". Notwithstanding, coding requirements are different for
> different CODECs that's why we have an /I/ to /A/K/R/ translation. However, this
> translation is simple and straightforward, as long as it's not required 10 times
> in one 10 GbE device.
>
> > kind regards,
> > --
> > Rick Walker
>
> --
>
> Best Regards,
> Rich

> Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
> Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
> nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114

Benjamin Brown
Router Products Division
Nortel Networks
1 Bedford Farms,