Re: SONET/Ethernet clock tolerance

Rich:

The 10 GigE WAN-PHY is asynchronous with standard Ethernet clock
tolerances. The WAN-PHY has no SONET clock tolerance or jitter
considerations. It is true that ELTE equipment (which is not part of
Ethernet) needs to make a conversion into the SONET clock domain. Since
this function is part of SONET equipment is only of academic concern to the
IEEE. David's previous emails indicate how the SONET ELTE equipment may work.

In the IEEE domain clock compensation may be performed by IDLE frame
deletion/insertion. Idle frame deletion/insertion is supported by the
<Length><HEC> delimiting system we have proposed.

Cheers,

Paul

At 11:21 AM 3/28/00 -0800, Rich Taborek wrote:

>Devendra,
>
>The question I'm asking is actually fairly simple.
>
>All 10 GbE proposed link architectures are a subset of 1000BASE-X in that
only
>fiber and full-duplex mode is supported. Another similarity is that there
is a
>strong desire to retain a clock tolerance spec of +/-100 PPM. One of the key
>differences between GbE and 10 GbE is that data is moving 10 times as fast
for
>10 GbE.
>
>Clock tolerance compenstation for Gigabit Ethernet products is performed
above
>the Physical layer, usually within a switch and between links. A link and
jitter
>budget is specified for the Physical layer and all link elements, transceiver
>modules, PCB traces, the fiber, the SerDes, GBIC cages, etc. must all not
exceed
>their jitter margins. This architecture is fairly fragile since an element
>exceeding its allocated margins will "break" the link if all other
elements are
>worst case.
>
>My experience thus far with the 2 Gbps Fibre Channel Physical layer
>architecture, which uses the same link architecture as 1 GbE and 1 Gbps
FC, is
>that meeting the tighter jitter budgets at twice the speed is very difficult.
>
>As a result, for 10 GbE, we have proposals to perform clock tolerance
>compensation (read: retiming) in intermediate link elements. For example,
>retiming may be necessary in a WWDM or Serial 10 GbE PCS/PMA in order to meet
>the link and jitter budget of the medium. In essence, a 10 GbE link
architecture
>may be separated into three distint jitter domains, one intra-cabinet jitter
>domain at either link end, and an inter-cabinet jitter domain primarily
for the
>medium. Please see:
>http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/jan00/taborek_1_0100.
pdf,
> [...]
>link jitter at all compliance points (TBD) must be met in order for the
link to
>operate reliably.
>
>Whenever, retiming is performed within a link, the packet stream must be
>adjusted. A 8B/10B PCS performs clock tolerance compensation by
>insertion/removal of Skip (/R/) columns. This methodology may be employed
at the
>XGXS for a Serial PHY or the WWDM PCS and does not affect the packet stream.
>
>SONET performs clock tolerance compensation via the manipulation of pointers
>which involves significant modification of the SONET stream. My
observation is
>that wherever SONET framing is employed in link with a clock tolerance of
+/-100
>PPM that SONET reframing must be performed at any link point where clock
>tolerance compensation is required. After all, this is the same methodology
>employed in a SONET ring where a regenerator is periodically employed to
ensure
>the SONET stream meets its +/-4.6 PPM requirements.
>
>It's not a "joint" problem. It's a problem with a so-called WAN PHY employing
>SONET framing as the sole method of performing clock tolerance
compensation.

>I understand how the 10 GbE link architecture works when SONET framing is
>stripped off. I'm concerned about the implications of performing clock
tolerance
>compensation, if required, for a 10 GbE link architecture when SONET
framing is
>present.
>
>Best Regards,
>Rich
>
>--
>
>Devendra Tripathi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> After replying to Mr Osamu, earlier I noticed some inconsistency in my
>> statement. If all overheads (including POH) is getting stripped off and
>> re-generated at the E-S joint and if, Ethernet Frame (including preamble)
>> is SPE payload, where is the question of pointer adjustment?
>> This means that I have missed your original point. Could you please
explain the
>> picture of data flow + mapping as the Ethernet packet moves to SONET frames
>> and vice-versa ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tripathi.
>>
>> At 10:36 AM 3/28/00 +0900, you wrote:
>>
>> >Tripathi,
>> >
>> >As I understand, your suggestion causes SONET Path Termination at the
>> >edge of SONET infrastructure.  That will require 'Ethernet Path
>> >Terminating Equipment' in addition to 'Ethernet Line Terminating
>> >Equipment' to re-write B3 Bit-Interleaved Parity byte.
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >Osamu
>> >
>> >-----------------------------------------
>> >Osamu ISHIDA
>> >NTT Network Innovation Laboratories
>> >TEL +81-468-59-3263  FAX +81-468-55-1282

Ethernet to

>Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
>Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
>nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
>2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com

Paul A. Bottorff, Director Switching Architecture
Enterprise Solutions Technology Center
Nortel Networks, Inc.
4401 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
Tel: 408 495 3365 Fax: 408 495 1299 ESN: 265 3365
email: pbottorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx