RE: WAN PHY name

Len,

If I might take your message and make three minor modifications:

Having spent over *XX* years in *Datacom*, the *LAN*  PHY
nomenclature seems to me to be the most appropriate and least
confusing name that comes to mind. It isn't SONET because it
isn't SONET and it isn't either Telecom because other than telecom
applications would find it useful. (Why start out with a
market limiting handicap?) Its support of link distances over
2km gives it some claim to wide area networking coverage; its
potential application within the central office, i.e., switch
to switch, gives it some claim to telecommunications
networking; its potential use in the LAN gives it some claim
to data; so....

Do you see the problem?  There are many other minor variations that all
yield equally valid statements. Since there is some desire by the committee
to have common PMDs for the 10.0 and 9.5 Gb/s versions of the PHY, using
distance doesn't differentiate any better than LAN and WAN.

Let's not give up on this. If it were trivial, we would have solved it long
ago....

jt