RE: What is 802.3ae WAN-PHY?

David,
        I was essentially referring to newer optical transport architectures
perhaps along the lines of what is being defined in the ITU OTN (digital
wrapper based)framework. While this is not in existence (deployment) today
and it is not fully clear what the overhead formats are, it is clear that
these are going to be different from the SONET formats.

Given the wide deployment of SONET transport networks, the "WAN PHY proposal"
seems to be the best near-term solution. But when alternative non-SONET
optical transport architectures take off we will probably need a different
solution for Wide area 10GE, as an STS signal is unlikely to be the most
optimal.

Thanks,

-Praveen

P.S: We are currently having email problems here, hence the belated response.