	From:  ghiasi [SMTP:Ali.Ghiasi@xxxxxxxxxxx]
	Sent:  Friday, April 07, 2000 11:54 AM
	To:  nuss@xxxxxxxxxx; Kolesar, Paul F (Paul); avb@xxxxxxxxx
	Cc:  stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx; Ali.Ghiasi@xxxxxxxxxxx
	Subject:  Re: (SSIG) Taking the winning route

	Hi Andy

	> Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 06:39:37 -0700 (PDT)
	> From: Andreas Bechtolsheim <avb@xxxxxxxxx>
	> To: nuss@xxxxxxxxxx, pkolesar@xxxxxxxxxx
	> Subject: Re: (SSIG) Taking the winning route
	> Cc: stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
	>
	>
	>
	> 850nm VCSELs for 10 GE require customers to deploy new
high-bandwdith MMF.
	> I would recommend that PMD solutions are based on installed base
MMF or SMF.

	I would agree that PMD solution should be based on existing MMF and
SMF.  At the cost of
	pulling new high bandwidth fiber, just pull SMF and operate at 1300
nm.

	> Specifying a PMD that implies a brand new MMF infrastructure is
not
	> consistent with the goal of using existing technology wherever
possible.

	But exploring 10 Gb serial with 850 nm VCSEL over 50/125 um at 100 m
satisfies critical market
	need at low cost.

	Thanks,

	Ali  Ghiasi