RE: What is 802.3ae WAN-PHY?

The approach that Osamu is pursuing is interesting to me due the potential
I foresee in being able to concatenate any number of LAN-PHY or WAN-PHY
segments together in any order and still manage these with using existing
tools nearly transparently. If this is possible, it would be beyond cool.

I assume the following from what I have seen thus far:
1. To adopt this might not require 802.3ae to write a new set of
line/path/etc management primitives.
2. A direct mapping would allow the "WAN" and the "LAN" systems to link in
a more direct way at, effectively, a lower level.
3. It permits greater flexibility in where we might choose to architect the
SONET framer in order to optimize the solution. It might even permit
multiple instantiations.

I am still curious about the details for the mapping and the data flow.

jonathan