Re: WAN PHY name

Gary:

The work at ANSI is quite different from the work at IEEE. IEEE is defining
a low cost store and forward network which is compatible with SONET. The
IEEE interface is fully specified by the IEEE allowing it to be built by
many vendors. The WAN-PHY interface provides a universal access interface
to any SONET, DWDM, or dark fiber equipment. ANSI is only specifying a
method for frame delineation and frame formats which may be carried in a
SONET envelope. Though these may be related to each other they are very
different things. No other group is working on a low cost Ethernet
interface which is SONET compatible.

Cheers,

Paul

At 05:20 PM 4/10/00 -0400, Gary Nicholl wrote:

>Roy,
>
>So if T1X1/ITU are already developing an 'Ethernet over SONET/SDH'
interface then why can't we simply use this as the WAN-PHY ? One issue that
is often brought up is the cost of current OC-192 interfaces.  However a
number of forums (including the OIF and the ITU) are addressing this issue
by specifying low-cost, very short reach optical interfaces at OC-192.
These interfaces are designed to operate over distances of up to approx
500m, and have very aggressive cost targets. I haven't seen the optics
proposal for the WAN-PHY yet but I would be surprised if there is a
significant difference in cost compared to an OC-192 VSR interface.

>In fact at OFC recently one vendor was promoting a single low-cost 10G
optical interface that could be used for "the proposed 10 Gigabit Ethernet
WAN PHY, as well as existing OC-192 and OC-192c frame formats".

>So rather than develop a new 'SONET-lite' interface within the IEEE, I
think a better approach would be to work with existing industry forums
(ITU,OIF,T1X1) to agree on a standard, low-cost OC-192 very-short-reach
(VSR) optical interface.   That way everyone gets to benefit from a common,
standard , low-cost OC-192 interface. 10GE is not the only group that wants
low cost 10G interconnect ...

>Another advantage of using EOS as the WAN-PHY is that it doesn't require
an 'ethernet specific' ELTE on the DWDM equipment. A standard 'OC-192
transponder' could be used instead.

>Gary Nicholl .........
>

>At 07:52 AM 4/7/00 , Roy Bynum wrote:
>>
>>Rich,
>>
>>You need to pay more attention, or if you have been paying attention,stop
>>generating confusion.  Ethernet over SONET/SDH is the standard that are
>>being developed in T1X1 and ITU.  The WAN compatible PHY is being developed
>>by IEEE.  The WAN compatible PHY proposal uses a "Lite" version of
>>SONET/SDH.
>>
>>Roy

Paul A. Bottorff, Director Switching Architecture
Enterprise Solutions Technology Center
Nortel Networks, Inc.
4401 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
Tel: 408 495 3365 Fax: 408 495 1299 ESN: 265 3365
email: pbottorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx