From: Gary Nicholl <gnicholl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Roy Bynum <rabynum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx>; HSSG
<stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: WAN PHY name

> Roy,
>
> So if T1X1/ITU are already developing an 'Ethernet over SONET/SDH'
interface then why can't we simply use this as the WAN-PHY ? One issue that
is often brought up is the cost of current OC-192 interfaces.  However a
number of forums (including the OIF and the ITU) are addressing this issue
by specifying low-cost, very short reach optical interfaces at OC-192. These
interfaces are designed to operate over distances of up to approx 500m, and
have very aggressive cost targets. I haven't seen the optics proposal for
the WAN-PHY yet but I would be surprised if there is a significant
difference in cost compared to an OC-192 VSR interface.

> In fact at OFC recently one vendor was promoting a single low-cost 10G
optical interface that could be used for "the proposed 10 Gigabit Ethernet
WAN PHY, as well as existing OC-192 and OC-192c frame formats".

> So rather than develop a new 'SONET-lite' interface within the IEEE, I
think a better approach would be to work with existing industry forums
(ITU,OIF,T1X1) to agree on a standard, low-cost OC-192 very-short-reach
(VSR) optical interface.   That way everyone gets to benefit from a common,
standard , low-cost OC-192 interface. 10GE is not the only group that wants
low cost 10G interconnect ...

> Another advantage of using EOS as the WAN-PHY is that it doesn't require
an 'ethernet specific' ELTE on the DWDM equipment. A standard 'OC-192
transponder' could be used instead.

> Gary Nicholl .........
>

> At 07:52 AM 4/7/00 , Roy Bynum wrote:
> >
> >Rich,
> >
> >You need to pay more attention, or if you have been paying attention,stop
> >generating confusion.  Ethernet over SONET/SDH is the standard that are
> >being developed in T1X1 and ITU.  The WAN compatible PHY is being
developed
> >by IEEE.  The WAN compatible PHY proposal uses a "Lite" version of
> >SONET/SDH.
> >
> >Roy

IEEE