Re: Interface reality check

Roy,
A small arithmetic error:
Since 64/66 converts 64 bits to 66 bits, I assume you really want to
say that the output is octet aligned only on 32 octet boundaries
of the input (i.e. it outputs 33 octets for every 32 octets).

I am still trying to understand your concern, so please bear with me as I
think "aloud".

I view the sonet payload as a bucket of so many octets with which
I need to transport a sequence of 66 bit words. I can have a 33 octet
buffer into which I write in 66 bit chunks from one end and read from
the other end in octet chunks, 33 times ( I need to phase lock
66bit word clock/4 to byte clock/33).
Isn't this simple, or are there other issues I am not considering?

I believe, the XGENIE proposal  envisions itself to be in between the
XGXS (or is it RS ?) and the PCS - I might have got the layer names
wrong, but essentially they want to avail of the inter packet gap and insert
some control octets. Since this is before the PCS layer, 64/66 can code
this up. You can refer to Rick Walkers posting on how he plans to do that -
its buried somewhere in the morass of posting.

Thanks
Birdy

--
Bharadwaj Amrutur
Agilent Technologies

Phone : (650) 813 3357
Fax   : (650) 857 3637
Email : bharadwaj_amrutur@xxxxxxxxxxx

begin:vcard
n:Amrutur;Bharadwaj
tel;fax:650-857-3637
tel;home:408-244-5553
tel;work:650-813-3357
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;3500 Deer Creek Rd. MS 26U-4;Palo Alto;CA;94304-1392;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:bharadwaj_amrutur@xxxxxxxxxxx
x-mozilla-cpt:;8544
fn:Bharadwaj Amrutur