Subject:    Re: (SSIG) Taking the winning route
Author: <NetWorthTK@xxxxxxx>
Date:       4/12/00 9:43 PM

Dear Giorgio:

How did you get 280 meter to make shortage of 20 meter out of 300 meter
total,  then claim it is failure.  I do not believe the actual optical link
design can be that simplified.  The real optical link does not behave as a
step function, rather a gradual change.

The fiber distance is very complex trade off among fiber effective bandwidth,
transmitter rise time, receiver bandwidth, bit error rate, and power.

Even the new fiber cannot guarantee without DMD problem which will change the
performance.

Regards,

Ed Chang

<<  agree with you the Gigabit Ethernet model has been proven to be robust
 and I congratulate with the work that has been done.
 Based on a straightforward extension of that model, a 3.125 Gb/s link at
1.3um
 can go approximately 280 m on installed MMF (62.5um 500MHz km).
 This is below the objective of 300 m and does not consider additional
 potential impairments introduced by the WDM process.