From: Tatum, Jim <JTatum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jaime Kardontchik <kardontchik.jaime@xxxxxxxxxxx>; stds-802-3-hssg
<stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 12:44
Subject: RE: 850 nm solutions

> I guess I don't understand all of the problems here...
>
> Why can't we have a serial solution at 850nm and 1310nm, 1550nm that
mirrors the 802.3Z approach, where we have a table that addresses each of
the fiber types. i.e. repeat the tables 38.2 and 38.5. Seems like an easy
thing to do, and straightforward. That is one PMD type. A second PMD type
would be the 4 wavelength WDM at 3.125GBd, with a similar table. To me
that is 2 PMD's, with options, with link lengths depending on what fiber
you have installed. The market has shown that 850nm technology is the low
cost approach.