Re: XAUI IO specs

> Ed,
>
> I agree that Ali's example was incorrect, but I am surprised by your
> assertions about Vcm. Vcm is, in my understanding, a part of the
> measurement of a differential signal just as much as Vdm is (since
> I don't have subscripts I'm making cm and dm lower case). It is
> at any given moment the average between Vo+ and Vo-. Thus it is
> a measured value rather than a fixed reference point. It would be
> a constant if you had a perfectly balanced differential output, but
> of course we don't ever have prefect balance so it moves around
> with respect to a reference such as ground.
>
> Vcm is important to receiver performance so most specs of differential
> signaling do specifiy DC and AC amplitude for it.
>
> Pat

Hi Pat,

I think we are actually in some agreement with each other.  In my
statements I tried to emphasize that the Vcm number does exist as
a receiver specification, but not as part of a measurement of the
differential operating output characteristics of a driver.
VCM however does exist as part of the single-ended or common mode
specifications of the driver.

The DC offset between a driver and receiver is a more than real issue
as Ali pointed out.  It cannot, however, be used as part of the specification
of the differential output amplitude.  These are totally different
numbers and they cannot be mixed in the same breath.  The primary
issue I had with Ali's original numbers were:

1. They did not agree with themselves
2. They attempted to define a differential measurement in terms or
   two single ended measurments.

I also stated in my response that the presence of a common mode operating
range for the receiver is a requirement.  I know the JEDEC spec for
differential HSTL references this, and I suspect the LVDS standard does
too.

So yes, I agree that a VCM does exist, however, I do not agree that
it is part of the measurment or specification of a differential value.
It is a standalone specification in and of itself.  A differential
value exists only in terms of signal relative to signal.

Regards,

Ed Grivna