Re: PMD discussion

Boaz,

The "10GE WAN PHY Overview" presented by Mr. Paul Bottorff in Ottawa,
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/thirion_1_0500.pdf,
illustrates a WAN PHY which may utilize up to three different encodings: 8B/10B
for XAUI, 64B/66B for the PCS, and SUPI for the PMD interface. All this just to
bridge Ethernet to SONET at layer 1. The complexity of this WDM wan PHY
frightens me, especially in the context of a "UniPHY" (i.e. same PHY for LAN and
WAN). At the same meeting, I illustrated the same functionality without the
requirement of a WAN PHY:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/taborek_3_0500.pdf. The
latter proposal simply shifts the WIS to the SONET side, still at layer 1.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Boaz Shahar wrote:

> Hi,
> The 4-lane code for WDM is 8b/10b. However, what happens in the case of WAN
> PHY? Is there any proposal for  line code (Over the Fiber) for WDM WAN PHY?

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com